Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

What's in a name? Mind Over Matter

In case you haven't already noticed, I like to name my fractal art work. Although I do like to give them titles, that is not the whole reason why. In fact, there are a few reasons to name abstract artwork.

  1. First, by naming them, it makes it easier for you to keep track of them and remember them. its far easier to remember if you blogged about your creation titled "Mind Over Matter" than one you just called "Fractal 47".
  2. If you are selling your art or prints or other related items with your image on it, your customers are more likely to remember the name if its something familiar to them. I can't count the number of times I have seen an image and couldn't find it again because I didn't bookmark it and couldn't remember what number it was. "Was that Apophysis 45 or 54 that I really liked?" People will be more likely to find it again by its name.
  3. If someone is looking through a gallery of thumbnails, unless they are an artist or a connoisseur of the program you use, a name like "Bluebirds" is more likely to catch their eye, and potentially snag them as a customer, than "Apophysis 01072011"
  4. Using common words like "Tunnels" or 'Dispute" is more likely to be found by a search engine. That's not to say that you will end up near the top of the results for those common words, because that may never happen. BUT if you end up on page 10, then it still came up in search results and some search engines rank partially on how many times you come up in results. (I am NOT an SEO expert by any means so please do not ask me any SEO questions.)

So even though I do like to name my abstract designs, its not just something I do just because I like to. It does serve a purpose and, even though the impact of doing so may be small, it is a POSITIVE impact.

You can check out my most recent fractal design, titled "Mind Over Matter" below

0 comments:

Post a Comment